I have been needing more storage in my water closet in the master bathroom and I found a bi-fold door on clearance at Lowe’s and decided to make a corner shelf out of it. I had planned on building one from scratch anyways but then I got this great idea that a bi-fold door would work great seeing as how it’s already able to go at a 90 degree angle and has hinges. A few less things I had to worry about dealing with.
I decided shoulder height would be tall enough for the shelf. And that’s literally how I measured it. I stood next to it and drew a line at my shoulder. Which turned out to be 53 inches. So I drew a line and cut the extra off with my circular saw. It went a lot smoother than I expected.
Not sure why, since it wasn’t very heavy, but I wasn’t expecting it to be hollow lol. So that changed how I was going to attach the shelves to the door. I couldn’t screw them to it, wasn’t really much to screw in to. I had extra quarter round from a previous project and it worked out great. I cut it up with my miter saw and glued them to the door. I was going to also nail them in but that didn’t turn out so great lol. I had extra bricks that I used to hold them down for the glue to dry.
It took a while but I finally decided on an angle and size for the shelves. I ended up with 14 x 14 x 19.5 inch shelves. I cut those with the circular saw, sanded them smooth, and primed them with Zinsser Cover Stain. I swear by that primer. Kilz who?? I watched some Netflix for a few hours while it all dried.
I had some oops paint from Lowes that I thought was black but turned out to be dark gray and I like it even more now. It’s an eggshell finish which isn’t my top pick for furniture paint but that is what polycrylic is for! I painted everything and let it dry for about 30 minutes before doing a second coat.
After the second coat it looked so good. Even though I almost liked the distressed look it had. I’m not really into the distressed phase but it looked ok on this with the first coat.
This is the first time I put all the shelves on it, and, YAY they fit! lol. The only problem I’ve found so far is that the quarter round is a little too far back and if I were to ever put anything heavy in the middle of the shelf, it would fall. That can be easily fixed by gluing the shelves to them but I want it to be easy to get in and out of the tiny room that it’s in. But I’m sure I can figure out another way to solve that issue, or not put anything but toilet paper on it like intended. It only took about 8 hours to make this. And that’s with drying and eating breaks. On to my next project!
Thanks for reading!