As some of you may know, I have a niece on the way. And I have been making all things baby related. The nursery is wild animal themed and I found this fabric at Joanns. They had mentioned wanting a blanket “with the bubble fabric”, which turns out to be minky fabric. I did a lot of research to see what I was getting into. Some of the “tips” I read left me worried and almost hesitant to use the minky fabric. I got two yards of each fabric, and cut them in half. I laid them right sides together and pinned them like I would do for a quilt and hoped for the best. I’ve read that the minky fabric has a tendency to move a lot and pinning is advised. Even after I pinned it, it still moved and I tried to fix it but I had to bite the bullet and let it sew wrinkled up in one spot. I sewed it an inch or more away from the edges so that it would have enough for movement and so the edges of the fabric wouldn’t be the selvage. I left about 4 inches of an opening to flip it right side out. A lot of people mentioned that minky is very messy and you will need to clean your sewing machine often when sewing it. But I didn’t have a problem with it. Once it was right side out, I used a zig-zag stitch on the edges to finish it off. I put the minky on top thinking it would be better so it wouldn’t cause so much fuzz build up in the machine, but I didn’t notice anything more than usual amounts. I’m not sure if that is because I put it on top or not. I used the same thread for top and bobbin. It’s a silky one that’s three different colors. I am thrilled with how well it turned out considering how afraid I was to use it. So I will definitely be using it again. Plus it is very soft, while sewing it, it spent a lot of time in my lap, and I decided to make myself a blanket made with this type of fabric!
Here it is all pinned up and ready to be sewn!
And here is the finished product!